To start with, let me prime you about overnight oats. Overnight oats are a no-cook method of making oatmeal i.e it doesn’t involve the usual cooking of oatmeal with liquid on the stove. You just simply mix rolled oats with you desired milk and add add-ons and let it rest in the fridge overnight. The soaking process allows the oats to absorb the milk and soften them enough to eat uncooked.
In the morning, you have a porridge like consistency which is legitimately delicious, easy grab-and-go breakfast.
There are alot of health benefits that you can reap from this easy quick on-the-go breakfast recipe.
- It contains more protein than most grains.
- It’s rich in fiber which helps you feel fuller for long.
- It’s rich in antioxidants that fights your body with all the free radicals present.
- Ofcourse, it helps in losing weight by providing you satiety value.
What goes in overnight oats ?
Oats : You cannot make overnight oats without oats! So, it’s not negotiable. Always prefer the rolled oats over the quick or instant oats as the consistency with rolled oats is better.
Milk : You can use any kind of milk – full fat, toned milk , skim milk or use non dairy milk like almond milk, coconut milk, cashew or oat milk to make it lactose free. Also, if you wish you can use water also instead of milk but the consistency and flavour won’t be the same.
Seeds : Well, Seeds are optional. My favorites are chia seeds or flax seeds. I like it because they are packed with tons of nutrition and provides the creamy and luscious base to the recipe.
Toppings : This is the fun part as you can experiment as many combinations as you want! You can add fresh fruits, dried fruits, nut butters, seeds, sweeteners ( honey or maple syrup) and spices ( like nutmeg, cardamom and cinnamon). This part is what makes it so versatile!
So, below is my favourite overnight oats recipe :
- ½ cup of rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds
- ½ cup of milk ( I prefer my regular toned milk)
- ½ cup apples, chopped
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Raw organic honey for the drizzle
- In a bowl or mason jar combine rolled oats and chia seeds together.
- Add the milk and mix all the ingredients together. Make sure oats are soaked well in the milk and remove the lumps if formed.
- Seal and cover the jar with a lid and chill it in fridge overnight.
- In a small bowl, mix chopped apple cubes and pinch of cinnamon together and top it on your overnight oats.
- When you are ready to serve or eat, drizzle a little honey and enjoy.
- You can store the overnight oats for upto 5 days with lids one.
Pro Tip :
- The amount of liquid is the key to the final consistency. So, if you prefer looser consistency, add a little more of milk.
- Do not add fruits (like bananas or sliced apple) right away to your oats as they don’t store well. They will soak down in your oats rather than staying on top. Add them when you are about to eat/serve.
If you give this a try! Please let me know how your overnight oats turn out in the comments below. Also, share the picture with me on instagram and facebook and tag @nutritiondefinedofficial . Cheers, friends!